I’ve been thinking a lot about Seinfeld lately. In particular, the show where George realizes that his life is terrible in nearly every way. He has an epiphany of sorts – he decides to do the opposite. Every time he thinks he knows what he should do, he does a 180 and does the opposite instead. He starts out small, just changing from tuna to chicken salad at first. And immediately, things start to go really well for him! He gets a new girl, moves out of his parents’ house, and goes to work for the Yankees. Like most of Larry David’s observations about life, he’s onto something here.
Are you dissatisfied with how things are going in your life? How about bored?
Shake things up, make some changes. Do the opposite. See what happens. You’re bound to learn something about yourself and others in the process. Everything changes, whether you like it or not. But you can decide to take an active role in your own life and be an agent of change.
You don’t have to move across the country. You don’t have to join a cult. You don’t have to join the circus. You just have to do something different, maybe even something completely out of character.
1. Take a sabbatical from NSA sex. Make a decision that the next time you have sex it will be with someone you have something real with.
2. Try NSA sex. Jump someone’s bones that you know is not relationship material. And then leave without sharing your number.
3. Stop nagging your SO. Chill out, and let them do whatever they want with no complaints from you for a couple of days.
4. Take a weekend where you resolve to just not give a shit what anything means. No analyzing with your girls. No post mortems. Just live a weekend, and deal with the aftermath later, if ever.
5. Go somewhere new to meet people. Avoid the same old bar. And while you’re at it, order a drink that you’ve never had before.
6. Ignore or avoid the friend that always makes you feel diminished in a thousand small ways. You know you want a gf divorce anyway.
7. Dress modestly.
8. Dress daringly.
9. Get feisty in the sack. Initiate a sexual act you’ve never tried before.
10. Stop being a pushover. Face facts.
11. Ask someone out.
12. Tell a stranger you think they’re a cutie (during the daytime).
13. Say no to whatever it is you really don’t want to be doing anyway, even if it means hurting someone’s feelings.
14. Skinny dip.
15. Tell the truth. Spend several days not telling any lies at all, not even little white ones.
16. Go out without makeup.
17. Spend one day on your own in complete silence.
18. Tell someone you trust a secret about yourself.
19. Eat healthy.
20. Eat cupcakes.
21. Invite people over spontaneously.
22. Go on a road trip.
23. Call someone you haven’t spoken with in at least ten years.
24. Surprise someone you love.
25. Change your relationship status.