Gotta do a little bit of business here.
So…there’s been kind of a sh*tstorm in the Comments lately, and I’m hearing about it both inside and outside the threads. I guess it’s time for a formal policy. Consider this a rough draft – I’m open to suggestions from readers, so fire away.
Good Comments DO:
- Objectively diagnose, interpret, argue, debate or analyze issues as raised by the blogger or another commenter.
- Specifically address the blog post to which they are linked.
- Share personal anecdotes and viewpoints, though personal experience should not trump objective data.
- Offer constructive criticism of the blogger, the posts, comments by other readers, or any objectively debated topic within the Comments.
- Provide support and counsel for anyone seeking it.
- Share knowledge, including links, when germane to the discussion at hand.
- Offer suggestions, new ideas and potential constructive solutions.
- Make their point succinctly. Comments that are TL;DR often get passed over even when they contain excellent points.
Good Comments DO NOT:
- Assume anything about a person’s character, behavior, past or future actions.
- Offer judgment of another commenter’s morals, character, or appearance.
- Predict outcomes for individual commenters based on certain behaviors.
- Include gratuitous bitching, ranting, whining or complaining about the state of society, the United States, women, men, or anything else.
- Repeat one’s point of view ad infinitum.
- Include aggressive profanity addressed to another person.
- Do not include sweeping generalizations about any group of people based on sex, religion, race, age, profession, income, or education level.
- Hate, gloat or delight in another’s misfortune.
- I never edit comments, except at the request of the commenter.
- I will delete comments that clearly violate the above ground rules.
- I will not explain individual deletions, but if you find your comments disappearing, feel free to ask for feedback.
- The spam filter is temperamental, and I get around it by whitelisting known commenters. In order to be whitelisted, you must provide a valid email address. Feel free to request whitelisting if you find your comments going into moderation for no good reason.
- Readers producing several unproductive comments may be placed in moderation.
- Commenters whose purpose is to express rage, threats, or accusation will be banned.
- Commenters who insist on going off topic or highjacking threads will be banned.
- You are responsible for your words. By posting your comments to the blog you are granting me the right, in perpetuity, to use, quote, alter, and/or display them however I see fit. If this concerns you, use a pseudonym.