Rules of Engagement
Hooking Up Smart’s Comment Policy
Debate at Hooking Up Smart is often lively. We are discussing the sexual marketplace, something that both men and women feel strongly about, and discussions here reflect that passion. It is important that we remain civil at all times. Comments should be safe, sane and relevant. More specific guidelines follow.
Good Comments DO:
- Objectively diagnose, interpret, argue, debate or analyze issues as raised by the blogger or another commenter.
- Specifically address the blog post to which they are linked.
- Share personal anecdotes and viewpoints, though personal experience should not trump objective data.
- Offer constructive criticism of the blogger, the posts, comments by other readers, or any objectively debated topic within the Comments.
- Provide support and counsel for anyone seeking it.
- Share knowledge, including links, when germane to the discussion at hand.
- Offer suggestions, new ideas and potential constructive solutions.
- Make their point succinctly. Comments that are TL;DR often get passed over even when they contain excellent points.
Good Comments DO NOT:
- Assume anything about a person’s character, behavior, past or future actions.
- Predict outcomes for individual commenters based on certain behaviors.
- Include gratuitous bitching, ranting, whining or complaining.
- Repeat one’s point of view ad infinitum.
- Include profanity addressed to another person.
- Include sweeping generalizations about any group of people based on sex, religion, race, age, profession, income, or education level.
- Hate, gloat or delight in another’s misfortune.
- I never edit comments, except at the request of the commenter.
- I will delete comments that clearly violate the above ground rules.
- I will not explain individual deletions, but if you find your comments disappearing, feel free to ask for feedback.
- The spam filter is temperamental, and I get around it by whitelisting known commenters. In order to be whitelisted, you must provide a valid email address. Feel free to request whitelisting if you find your comments going into moderation for no good reason.
- Readers producing several unproductive comments may be placed in moderation.
- Commenters whose purpose is to express rage, threats, or accusation will be banned.
- Commenters who insist on going off topic or highjacking threads will be banned.
You are responsible for your words. By posting your comments to the blog you are granting me the right, in perpetuity, to use, quote, alter, and/or display them however I see fit both for commercial and non-commercial distribution. If this concerns you, use a pseudonym.